Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Have died and went to heaven

You will find out at the end of the post what the title means. I think I left off heading to go get my haircut yesterday. What an experience. We went to the place where apparently all of the diplomats wives go. Heaher had gone earlier because she was having multiple things done. We picked up Faith at the guesthouse and dropped off Ibssa. The boys were coming later because the restaurant is in the same building. When I got there I was just thrilled with excitement. I asked if they could do a cut,colour and highlights. They said sure, no problem. I really should have explained more. What goes in Canada is not easily translated even when they appear to speak English. Funny, I didn't even ask what it cost I just wanted it done sooo bad. It looked promising. Out came the pieces of foil and I could tell they were making blonde colouring. Instead of about 7 chunks which I usually get she put the highlights all over. I thought to myself, change is good. You think I would have clued in when they never asked the other colour. When she finished with the blonde she told me to wait under a dryer. I said what about the rest. After a little conversation she realized what I had wanted but was too late to put it in now. She called them low lights. So I had to wait for the blonde to be done washed an dried, and them she did the whole procedure again bit with brown. The boys had already arrived for dinner and I was still be worked on. Lol. The final wash was kind of cool. They actually massage your head for about 10 minutes. And get this, it is guys who wash your hair, and they use a lot of force. I told her to cut at least an inch off. When she started cutting I noticed she was barely cutting. I said more please. She finished by maybe cutting half an inch. I kept quiet because Heather had ordered my food and I couldn't do this any more. It had been almost 3 hours. Time to pay. I was pleasantly surprised it was only $60. It would have cost me $120 at home and no head massage. Lol. Dinner was good. I picked up a couple of books for Faith from the bookstore there. Her birthday is the 4th so I wanted to make sure I had something for her. When we got home Ibssa was winding down with a movie. Rob and Heather came over to do their interneting. Still no wifi at their house - not even today. This morning Ibssa and I just played around here. We went to the bank to get some spending money for this week. Markos was picking us up at 12:30 with Candy and Rob. We are headed to Abenezer to pay the final payment of the scarves. I was hoping to see all of the children but they were either sleeping or at school. I forgot that school has started. We visited mostly with the staff. When we left I talked Rob and Candy into going to the Shoa supermarket. Victoria, my new roomie, told me I could buy all kinds of real cheese there. She was right. I purchased white cheddar, Edam, cream cheese, and cheese slices. I also bought dill pickles. Yum. Markos stopped on the way home and picked up the nice hot bread cooked in the banana leaves. It has a fennel taste to it. Ibssa immediately went for a nap. I feasted on my cheese, bread, and pickles. This is where the title "I have died and went to heaven". It was the best. We haven't had real cheese since we got here. I can't believe it took us this liong to find it. Just got an email from Paul saying he is taking 5 weeks parental leave when I get home. Yippee. I think we will be eating a lot of kd though. Lol. Well gotta go. Chow for now. Karen

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you ! What a great adventure cheese and a haircut!! LOL I am so glad you skyped me - I have tried to reach you several times but it hasn't gone through. I will keep my line open as much as possible so feel free to Skype me anytime!

    ReplyDelete