Sunday, October 20, 2013

Reunited


Well it's midnight and I can't sleep.  It's probably the 4 hour nap I had after things settled down after I arrived or maybe the additional 4 hours at Ibssa's bedtime.  By now you probably realize that it is Paul writing the blog.  For those of yo that didn't know, we decided it would be in all our best interest for me to return to Ethiopia to finish this amazing journey.  Karen and Ibssa had been here 45 days since I left.  It has been an emotional time for all.  The delays have not been easy but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I an sure it is the final light to get us home.   

The day has been but oh so worthwhile.  I was up at 4:30am on Saturday morning and then at airport by 7 am (thanks Pam).  There was no one in line so I walked right up and cheked bags and was having a coffee 20 minutes after I walked in.  That's through security as well.  Plane takeoff was at 10 and landed in Rome to refuel at midnight (6 hour time difference).  It was about an hour and a half to refuel and change crew before we were away again.  We landed in Addis Ababa at 8am Sunday morning.  Got my Ethiopian viasa, picked up luggage and was waiting outside for my ride.  Yes - it's 8:30am warm and sunny - far different than the rain when I left a month ago.  The guesthouse picked me up about 20 minutes later.  Driver told me that the prime minister was coming today.  As we travelled I noticed that there was an armed soldier about every 50 feet along the road on both sides.  I noticed there was an occasional one perched up on top of buildings.  Much different than in Canada.

 

I arrived at guesthouse but Karen and Ibssa were still upstairs.  There was a coffee ceremony setup and some of guest were waiting.  I was greeted by "Are you Ibssa's Dad", by one of the new guest - I guess they knew I was coming but Ibssa didn't,  Karen wanted to surprise him.  Well we surprised them.  The guesthouse tooked my bags up and I followed.  Karen seen the bags and knew I was there.  When Ibssa saw me he came running to me with a hug and a huge "Daddy".  He hadn't forgot me at all - Skyping everyday I'm sure helped.  A kiss and another tight hug and all was good.  Karen was right behind Ibssa with the big smile while trying to hold back her tears - it didn't work.  A warm embrace and a kiss and all was right in the world again.

 Once the initial hyped settled down, Ibssa said " Daddy come" and away went to the storage room.  He showed me the 3 bags that were already packed for our return trip.  Very excited he said, :  Can Na Da one week".  He knows he is going someplace but I'm sure he doesn't know how much his life will change.

We all went downstairs and met the other guests that assembled for the coffee ceremony.  The ceremony lasted about an hour and a half all while Ibssa sat with me and got re-acquainted.  He told me stories that only he knew what he was saying but it didn't matter cause I was ready to hear them.  He showed me his bike which was "Bike, mine". 

I was bagged by this time as I don't sleep well on planes.  I headed up stairs for a shower and a nap.  I think I napped for 2.5 hours before Ibssa joined me for another 1.5 hour nap.  We got up around 4 and headed to grocery store to get some supplies.  On the way back, Ibssa thought we should get a donut so we did.  It's not Tim Hortons (only 3 kinds of doughnut but it does the trick.  We got home, Karen made fish and homemade fries for supper, while we played.  A little more play time, we did his new puzzle, watched a little bit of a movie and it was bedtime.  Eight thirty - where did the day go (Oh probably the naps eariler made it fly by)

Hopefully without any further delays we will we be back home on October 29th.  After struggling to decide if I should come back to Ethiopia, it has been made quite clear by God today, that this is where I needed to be hopefully for the last week of our journey here.  As trying as it has been for Karen and I, I'm sure it will be the same for Ibssa when he comes to Canada to continue his journey.
 

Keep all the emails and prayers coming.  Each and everyone is appreciated beyond what people may think is just a simple gesture

 

Good night, chow as God Bless

 

Paul

4 comments:

  1. HALLELUJAH!! Yeah this feels right! God is so, so amazing! Let the count down begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrrrr couldn't get a Monday flight. Leaving Wednesday the 30th now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears of Joy!! What a precious moment that would have been!! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are reunited! I know Karen must just be thrilled! How frustrating about the flights, but you may be glad, as when Martha went to pick up our visa on the Monday, she was told to come back the next day! Grrr... I was aggravated but we didn't even have flights until Thursday so it wasn't really a big deal. But you never know what curves they might throw you... Praying you have a delightful last week in Ethiopia!

    ReplyDelete