Thursday, August 15, 2013

There are no words


We’ll what can we say about today.  There are no words to describe it. 

A late start to the day. Our pick up time was supposed to be 9:30 when Grematchew (Kidslink driver) was picking us up.  Oops Africa time again: he arrived at 10:45.  We stopped at Kaldi’s Coffee shop (Ethiopian version of Starbucks. LOL)  where we ordered 4 cakes for the Good Bye celebration.  Two cakes had Good Bye Ibssa and 2 had Amharic writing on them.  We’re not sure what they said but there were supposed to be 2 with Good Bye Ephram (Candy & Rob’s 8 month old baby boy).

It really didn’t matter what was on them because we knew that today was the most important day of our trip to Ethiopia.  We would take full custody of our children and they would be leaving the orphanage for good. The van was packed with cake, pop, cookies, and a bag of Chicago style popcorn which I had brought along (a Costco find).  The pizza was being ordered by the orphanage and we would just pay them later. 

We got there and once again the children all rushed to meet us.  Ibssa leading the pack.  You could tell they were all dressed in their good clothes and they all had brand new crocs on.  We spent the next hour just playing with the kids.  Elsabeth was in a meeting with the government and the pizza wasn’t coming until 12:30.  Candy and Rob immediately went to seek out their baby and when she brought him out to show me he had the most beautiful traditional outfit on.  It took my breath away.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took this time to show pictures and videos of Claire’s daughter to her friends here at the orphanage.  They were so happy, even her caregivers came over and watched the videos again and again.  They produced their own video that I will give to Claire for Blayne.  It seemed like forever before the pizza came.  Finally the moment had arrived.  I saw one of the workers pull Ibssa away.  Moments later I saw him dressed in his traditional Ethiopian outfit.  ALL WHITE.  He was so proud, his smile was beaming from ear to ear.

I don’t think either of us couples were emotionally prepared for what was about to happen.  Our two families stood in the middle of the room and the children formed a circle around us.  They performed a blessing on our new families.  We couldn’t have felt any closer to God.  His blessings were pouring all over us. 

 
Our families sat at the head table.  The four cakes were placed in front of us.  Ibssa knew the drill.  He took the knife and made the ceremonial first cut of the cake.  They told Candy to take Ephram’s hand and make a ceremonial cut in the second cake.  I wondered to myself how many of these ceremonies did Ibssa witness in his 3 plus years here.  What was he feeling at that moment?  Pure joy is what I saw.  Then the children started bring coloured pictures for Ephram and Ibssa with good byes and their names on it. They all kissed Ibssa on the cheek.  I was trying hard not to weep.  What a gift Ibssa will have. 

After grace was lead by one of Ibssa’s friends, the feast started!  The children inhaled to food.  The popcorn not so much….I think the flavoured popcorn was foreign to them…but the adults found it yummy.  There was so much food.  We ordered 20 pizzas because we wanted to ensure that all of the children and the staff were fed.  Elsabeth even put some away for the night staff.

While we ate pizza a funny thing happened.  After Ibssa already had eaten one piece of pizza, he noticed Paul picking off black olives from his.  Ibssa put his second piece down until daddy picked the olives off his piece.

After the meal the children provided entertainment.  There were two groups, the young ones and the older ones.  Of course Paul videotaped the whole thing so you guys will have to watch it.  The party came to an end.  You could tell the children were sad.  I silently prayed for them that they too would have forever families soon.  We signed a message in the good bye book and Germachew was trying to round us up to go.  I wasn’t given any information on Ibssa’s routine but I really wasn’t worried.  Before you knew it Ibssa had already loaded himself up in the van.  I guess he was ready to go.  Once again the children smothered him with kisses.  All of the staff came out, I mean all of the staff.  You could tell these children were deep rooted in their hearts.  It was a happy and sad time for them.  Eventually we said all of our goodbyes, and the gates opened and we left.

 

It didn’t really dawn on me how frightened Ibssa would be once we started driving.  He really has no memory of what life is like outside those gates.  I sat cuddled closely beside him and I held his hand tightly.  There were no smiles on the journey to the guest house.  I have no idea what was going through his mind, but I knew I had to comfort him.  He seemed happy once we got to the guesthouse.  When he saw our suite he just walked around and around.  I didn’t really know what to do, so I pulled up the video that Blaynes friends had made for her.  He started smiling again.  He watched it over and over.  He seemed to be comforted by that.  He had relaxed and was himself again.  I took his WHITE clothes off and put his oversized clothes on that I had purchased before we came.  He looks so handsome.

Just like any kid he is amazed by technology. The language barriers are erased with technology. LOL He has claimed my tablet as his own.  He knows how to manoeuvre  through the icons with ease.  I knew it had to be time for a nap so the both of us laid down for an hour.  When we woke up Paul and Ibssa went outside to play soccer and I made supper.  We had our first meal as a family.  I wished Kate and Jake were here.  That would have made it perfect.  Lipton noodles, green beans, and tuna salad on a pita.  He loved it all.  My body was thankful that there were no mysteries entering it tonight. LOL. 

I cleaned up and Paul and Ibssa played with the tablet again.  It was time for pyjamas.  Paul took Ibssa to get his pyjamas on and while he was getting the pyjamas out, Ibssa noticed a hat in the closet.  Our close friend Teresa bought him a fedora hat that we brought along.  Ibssa put it on right away and had the biggest smile come on his face. 
 
 

 
 I read him a story, gave him a drink, and it was off to bed for my boys. LOL.  Paul said he was going to lay down with him until he fell asleep but I haven’t seen him for a couple of hours.  Oh wait here he is.  He just said Ibssa fell asleep in about 5 minutes.  Just before I started typing tonight I went to a friend’s blog who has been doing this journey with us for the past 3 years.  They are in South Africa right now picking up their daughter.  I was catching up on their news.  I came across a playlist of Christian music that always gives me peace.  I am listening to it as I am writing this.  What a blessing.  God has bless both of us with children at the same time.  I can’t wait to connect once we get home.

A special thanks to all those who said they would like scarves.  I told Elsabeth that I had 16 scarves sold already and that there would probably be more.  She was so happy.

Well I must go to bed now.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring. 

Chow for now

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Little Fedora boy! Good call Teresa! Every time I read your blog I weep. Praise God that He is helping you keep it together! My heart is bursting with joy for your family, I can't imagine the emotions you and Paul and Ibssa are experiencing. We love you guys and continue to pray for you and are delighted to hear how God keeps answering those prayers.<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, there are absolutely no words to describe the Goodbye ceremony!! I am so happy this time, this ceremony was for him, that he got to leave in that mysterious white van!! In the video I took of everyone outside the van waving goodbye as we drove away, there was a little one who got loose and tried to run after that van, well it was Ibssa! He no longer has to chase the van, this time he was in it!! Please tell him, his Abenezer friend Mulay says Hi!!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete