Saturday, August 24, 2013

Lazy Saturday


A rather uneventful day or we are getting used to the people or culture.  Breakfast was straight forward.  I got out Corn Flakes, oatmeal and eggs and asked Ibssa what he wanted.  He decided and pointed to all of them.  After more discussion, Corn Flakes it was of course with Nutella toast until I give Ibssa a bite of my toast with peanut butter.  Now I have Nutella toast and he is eating mine.  He’s lucky he’s so small and cute because I don’t give up peanut butter easily.

We had our normal playtime outside with the addition of a large punching balloon ball.  He liked tha he could hit it high in the air without difficulty.  Everyone was outside playing which was different as he would have to share.  At one point he tripped and had a sad look on his face.  At the orphanage the mamas would usually run off and make a big fuss by sucking him up.  This usually was the trigger to start crying.  Well we sure have changed that.  As he wasn’t really hurt, I laughed at him and said “Get up silly”.  His sad face quickly turned into a smile and a laugh as he re-enacted the trip.  The more you laugh, the more he’ll laugh.

The Reichs and Grestys all decided to go up to the grocery store to get some supplies.  Now that the Reichs are here with their adopted son, we had a posse of eight.  I’m not sure but I think, we stick out still.  Everytime we go out we all feel more and more comfortable in our surroundings especially in our own neighbourhood.  I think the locals are used to seeing us so now they just accept us.  People normally say hi, but we still get some looks.  Yesterday I had a guy speaking to me in Amharic. He seemed to have an issue why I had this little boy with me.  I think he was asking “Why did I have this boy” or “where was I taking him”.  I kept assuring him that he was my son but he was not understanding my very good English.  A couple of women were walking by and said something to him which helped him understand, whether he was OK with it or not I will never know. The women smiled, said hello to Ibssa and carried on along their way.  There is one security guard along the way that always says “Hi” to us.  Ibssa and I stopped today and said Hi and shook his hand and he replied “Thanks”.  Maybe we are becoming the locals?

Another rain shower as we walked so we stopped for lunch at Kaldi’s (Starbuck’s knockoff).  Ibssa had fries, samosa and a pepsi and I had a chesseburger.  I think it was the best meat I’ve had since we got here.  Ibssa decided that he wanted several bites of my chesseburger so I let him try “real” hamburger. 

The rain had stopped by the time we finished lunch so the boys and kids all headed back while the ladies continued on to the meat market.  This was an experience that you will never see in Canada.  Karen had had a discussion with Lee, guesthouse manager, on how to purchase meat.  It certainly isn’t packaged nicely in an aisle of a grocery store.  They do have strict regulations on meat quality.  The meat is killed and sold the same day.  Lee assured her that these roadside shacks with beef carcasses hanging down are of the best quality.  It has way more flavour than anything you would buy in a grocery store.  So, Karen stepped up to the vendor and ordered 2kg of beef and they grinded half of it into hamburger for her.  It cost about $10 which is great in Canadian prices, but she was pretty sure the woman ahead of her got it for half of that price.  Oh well, we are considered wealthy by Ethiopian means so I guess we can afford to pay top dollar for supplies.  Heather wasn’t as brave as my wife.  She wants to see how our health is after we have consumed this new version of street meat before she will serve it to her kids.  Karen cooked up the hamburger with onions, peppers, and garlic and she said it was the nicest hamburger she has seen in a long time.  Very little grease and very tasty.

When we got home we headed upstairs and Ibssa had a nap.  It was Karen’s turn to lay with him.  It was warm outside and the sun was shining.  This was a good opportunity to sit on our balcony with a beer – Ahhhh, Saturday afternoon, sun shining, a beer – What could be better?  I suppose watching a Steeler game – Oh Well can’t have everything.

We Skyped Karen’s sister and she was able to meet Ibssa.  He had just woken up while they were talking.  Just like with Grandma he was a little shy but started hamming it up when he got a hold of the balloons.

After we were done talking to Marg, we called the kids.  Kate is visiting Jake out in Halifax for a couple of days.  We weren’t able to get the video working so we could only talk to them.  We got Ibssa to sheepishly say “Hi Kate” and then “Chow” when we were done.  I always find it special when one of my children visits the other one without Mom & Dad.  We are proud of our young adults.

Ibssa was happy to see that he was getting leftover Injera for supper and even better luck that there is still one more meal to come from it.  Dad was happy also as I got leftover chili.  A win-win for both of us.

A little more playtime and Ibssa headed to bed at 8:30.  That’s pretty late for him.  Hopefully that means we get to sleep in past 6:30 especially on a Sunday.

We’re off to church tomorrow for the first time here in Ethiopia – should be interesting.  We’ll pray for the first time parents Candy and Rob.  We just heard tonight that Candy is now down with the stomach flu.  Good luck Candy – Hopefully you’ll feel well soon

Well, chow for now

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Haha, yes, I am letting you be the guinea pigs with the meat... Though Karen's wot looked delicious so I might not hold out long!

    ReplyDelete