Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Mom is The Best


It was a very restless night for Paul and I.  It wasn’t the far off music from the local bars, it was a barking dog.  It literally barked all night.  I usually have a high tolerance for pets having two crazy dogs of our own, but this dog was relentless.  Thank goodness it didn’t really affect Ibssa.  One good thing about him is that he sleeps soundly, I think I could run a vacuum in his room and he still wouldn’t wake up. LOL. Ibssa woke up at 6:30 as usual.  Paul and I bought another half hour of in bed time while he played with my iphone.  Today he found the flashlight.  There is something you want in your eyes first thing in the morning.  It sure didn’t take Paul long to start playing tent with the covers and showing him how it lights up in the dark.  Good grief….It’s like having two children to take care of all of the time.  LOL.  I wouldn’t have it any other way J

At breakfast Ibssa wanted to have cornflakes like his dad, except there were hardly any left.  Today was the day we introduced him to Honeynut Cherrios.  Yummy.  He has already made sure we know that that is what he wants for breakfast tomorrow. 

Routine chores have now turned into a game at every corner.  Just showering and getting dressed has turned into a one hour playtime.  Again, my older child is the route of this.  Ibssa will be lost when he has to leave to go back to work.  Mom isn’t nearly as much fun….but she is definitely a better cuddler!
Tilahum and Ibssa

Today we got to go to church.  I had called Getcho and asked if he could bring Tilahun, Ibssa’s new Ethiopian brother.  Tilahun instantly recognized our friend’s new son Bereket.  Tilahun used to teach and English class 3 times a week at KVI orphanage.  What a small world this really is.  Tilahun is a connection from Shelly Green in Woodstock.  Ibssa is in love with him.   

Getcho picked us up as well as our other Canadian friends and brought us to the International Evangelical Church.  Getcho thought we would be more comfortable having the service in English.  There were quite a few people there….a lot of adoptive families.  It was a typical service.  The worship music wasn’t anything I was expecting.  Having previously been to Africa I know they take worship to a whole other level.  This was very low key, powerful, but low key.  The Pastor was from Memphis Tennessee.  His message was on restoration and how as Christians we need to help restore people who have been distracted by the devil. 
 It was a really good message….he had tears and everything…very Southern U.S.  He showed a video of an American Olympic athlete running his big race in 1992 (Barcelona) and just before finishing, his hamstring broke.  The racer got up and was trying to finish but with great difficulty.  The racer’s father pummeled himself out of the stands, over the barriers and through security to reach his son.  His father assisted him to the finish line so he could finish his race that he had worked years for.  I don’t know if this was a light bulb for everyone but it was for me.  “Fathers” seems to be the theme that is revealing itself to us while we are in Ethiopia.  At this point I was beginning to connect the dots that God was placing in front of us.  This is a journey for Paul’s mission for the Lord.  He was deeply moved the other day by the Man up video.  The just of that movie was that Fathers from around the world need to Man up and take responsibility for children with no Fathers.  This goes beyond our adoption…this is stepping out and making a difference for those who are the fatherless.  It is so exciting for me to watch God mapping out a future for Paul.  I am not sure what exactly it is yet…but I know it is coming.  Please pray for revelation and a means to make this happen.  I asked Tilahun what he thought of the service…he just smiled.  I told him that I want to go to his church next Sunday. 

   (Proof, Karen can be an hour early for church)
 
 
We then went out for lunch and then headed back to the guesthouse.  On our way I was showing Tilahun some of the music on my iphone.  We were comparing worship music.  It didn’t take Ibssa long to figure out that this was something he had not yet uncovered on my phone.  He was thrilled that all of this music was coming out of my phone.  When we arrived he started to dance around carrying my phone.  He was quite upset that I wanted him to go to bed.  All that he could think about was my phone.  Needless to say, no nap happened today which I guess was okay because it was already 3pm and he did have a nap in church…this would mean an early bed time J

I decided I would make an Ethiopian beef dish.  A Karen creation.  I kind of followed a recipe.  It was basically stewed meat with Ethiopian spices.  It actually seemed pretty close to the real thing.  When Ibssa saw what I was making and I told him that this was for him, he smiled from ear to ear and was very excited.  We did some more skyping with my family today.  What a gift skype is.  I know it will be a daily event once Paul goes home.  After dinner it was time for jammie’s.  I got no rebellion on this matter.  Ibssa wanted me to cuddle on the couch and play one more ABC game on the tablet before bed.  What a perfect way to end the night.  Tomorrow will be a busy day for us.  We are touring the city with Markos who has some sights he wants us to see.  It is the end of a big fasting season for them so there will be a lot going on.  We should also be getting the birth certificate soon.  Please pray for this step.  We can’t move forward without it.  I can already see that I will be here longer than I had originally planned L  Oh well, I will be with the most beautiful little boy in the world (Jake, you are my most beautiful big boy!).

Time to sign off.  We are both weary from our sleepless night.  It’s raining…..maybe the dog will be inside tonight.

 

Hugs and Blessings,

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Dogs, roosters,and donkeys(Haiti), what do these three have in common!!LOL. Looking forward to our first Ethiopian dinner -Karen style!!

    ReplyDelete