Friday, August 23, 2013

Ibssa's First Cry



Today started out in the usual manner, but breakfast had a bit of a twist.  I had decided to scramble up 6 eggs so Paul and I would be able to have some today.  Ibssa wanted them all on his plate so we pulled out the cornflakes.  After eating a few eggs he decided that he wanted cornflakes like his daddy.  He then ate two bowls and refused to eat any more eggs, so Paul and I got our eggs after all. LOL. 
It was a sunny morning so I called Markos and asked him to take us to the silver market.  He came right away because he had another appointment at 1pm.  The silver market is located in Piazza which is the core of the city and is very busy.  He parked his cab in a no parking zone and lifted his car hood up and said come on, let’s go.  Too funny.  Silver is crazy cheap here.  I bought 4 rings, 2 chains, a small plain cross, a black cross for Paul, and a really cool black and silver necklace for Jake, and it came to about $150.  I am pretty sure that the chains only would have been that price at home.  Enough money spent today so we headed home for lunch.

Paul and Ibssa went out to play soccer while I went up to make lunch.  I made pasta and warmed up some leftover stir fry.  Lee asked Ibssa if he was having Injera for lunch.  He marched upstairs expecting to find it.  We all sat at the table and I put pasta on his plate.  He pushed it away and said no.  He wanted injera.  I tried every trick in the book but nothing was working.  He started to cry.  Darn, I was hoping his first cry wouldn’t be because of me.  I knew he was tired so I said come on, time for bed.  He cried even more.  We got to the bedroom and all I could do was cuddle him.  I knew I wasn’t supposed to deny him food in any way.  I caved and said lets go to the kitchen and see what else we could find.  He decided it would be nutella and bread.  He sulkily ate his lunch and then had a bit of a play time before he went off to bed.  

For supper we decided we would take him out so he could get some of his Ethiopia food.  When the time came for supper it was time for a downpour again.  Ugh!! 








 
















Thumbs Up for Injera

 I texted Lee asking her where the closest place was that we could get takeout injera.  She said should would send some up with TG, the head housekeeper.  What a blessing this place is.  He was so happy to have that familiar food for supper.
I started researching how to make my own injera and the different wats that you put on top.  It really doesn’t look that difficult, I think I can do it.  I know Ibssa has to eat Canadian food, but it may take a lot longer for the transition than I 
 thought.  You would think that children from an orphanage would welcome any food that was offered.  I guess this is the first time that they have been offered a choice of what to eat and they embrace that. LOL.  Paul gave me the lecture that we were meeting his need for food, but we weren’t meeting his want, there is a difference.  Not an easy road, but we will get there.
Elsa emailed me today to say that I could meet with Ibssa’s mother on Monday.  I said that would be fine, but how much was it going to cost?  Do I arrange for her hotel?  Got nothing back, and now it’s the weekend.  So who knows, I guess I will just have to bring a boatload of money with me.  Getcho, Shelley’s driver told me that it is only about 600 birr for a round trip bus ticket for her so we will see what price Abenezer orphanage comes up with.



Heather, the Canadian mom from the first floor, came up tonight for a chat to tell me about her crazy day.  My day was nothing compared to hers.  I guess prayers for all of our families will be needed for the next little while as we move through this time of transition.  Limits need to be set, childproofing needs to be done, and lots of love and hugs every time we turn around.  No is a common word now.  I hope that I use it wisely.

Paul is always amazed at the construction sites.  This is building outside our compound.  Scaffolding is being taken down with hammer and prybars.  No safety at all - no workers tied off. 




Taking down scaffolding (2 guys with hammer and prybar knocking wood poles off)
















I think guy on the corner looks safe
 
Well time to sign off.  I am going to email Getcho about finding us a cool church to go to on Sunday.  I know he will help.  A little side about Getcho.  Today, Ibssa and Paul was on the balcony, when Ibssa heard a horn honk and saw a large white van come into our compound.  He started yelling Getcho, Getcho.  He grabbed both Paul and I and wanted us to head downstairs.  Paul took him and sadly he realized it wasn’t Getcho.  Their connection must be really strong.  What a blessing for Ibssa to have made such a great friend.  I will have to make sure we include Getcho in some of our future plans.

Well, chow for now



1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with a few tears. God has blessed you and will give you the wisdom you need to meet the different challenges you now face as adoptive parents. I have no doubt that Ibssa will grow up to be a respectful, polite, God loving young man!!

    ReplyDelete